Monday 26 September 2016

Boy traumatised by dishwasher fire in home awarded €50,000

Tom Healy

Published 19/12/2015 | 02:30

Stock picture
Stock picture

A boy who suffered night terrors and nightmares after a fire involving a dishwasher broke out at his home has been awarded some €50,000 damages at the High Court.

  • Go To

Mr Justice Bernard Barton said Aaron Monds, now aged 14, suffered psychological injuries as a result of the fire at his home five years ago and had night terrors including nightmares about fire and burning. The boy, who has a mild intellectual disability, developed an irrational fear of recurrence of a fire but made significant progress after therapy, the judge noted.

At one stage the boy had symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder including checking and rechecking electrical appliances were switched off and unplugged in the house.

Aaron, through his father Henry Monds, Blatinoran, Kinnegad, Co Westmeath, had sued Indesit Company UK Ltd arising from a fire in his home involving a Hotpoint dishwasher on June 26, 2010. Liability was conceded in the case.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News