Boy held for attacking expectant mother set free again
A TEENAGE boy accused of violently mugging a heavily pregnant woman in Dublin has again avoided custody due to the ongoing problem of the lack of detention spaces for young offenders.
The woman was seven months pregnant and near her home when the alleged robbery took place, at Collins Park, in north Dublin, on January 21 last. The boy, aged 16, and another youth were later charged with robbery at the Dublin Children's Court.
The 16-year-old has repeatedly broken the bail terms and on June 4 he was released because there was nowhere to hold him.
However, a day later he was remanded in custody for one week when a space became available.
Bail was reinstated on June 12 last, but yesterday Judge Colin Daly was told that the teenager had broken the conditions six times since he was released.
He breached the curfew twice, did not sign on at a garda station and was repeatedly seen with youths with whom he had been banned from associating, the court was told.
Garda Sergeant Seamus Treacy said there was an application to have bail revoked again. However, there were no spaces to hold the youngster, who was accompanied to his hearing by his father.
The sergeant said that this was frustrating for both the courts and gardai.
Judge Daly remanded the boy, who has yet to enter a plea to the charge, on bail to appear again next week.
The court had already heard that it was alleged a woman had been approached from behind while she was talking on her mobile phone.