Sunday 23 July 2017

Boy gets €50,000 after head trapped by gates

Lee McCabe at court with his grandmother, Mary McCabe. Pic: Courts Collins
Lee McCabe at court with his grandmother, Mary McCabe. Pic: Courts Collins

Ray Managh

A seven-year-old boy, who was injured when his head was trapped in electric security gates, has been awarded more than €50,000 damages in the Circuit Civil Court.

Judge John Aylmer was told that Lee McCabe was only four years old when the gates closed on his head and he had to be rescued by a neighbour who heard him crying for help.

Barrister Conor Kearney, who appeared for the schoolboy, told the court that last year Circuit Court President Mr Justice Raymond Groarke had rejected a €37,000 assessment by the Personal Injuries Board (PIAB).

Mr Kearney said Lee, of Griffith Parade, Finglas East, Dublin, suffered serious lacerations to his head and had been left with significant scars above his right eye and on the back of his head.

Mr Kearney said that since that time the defendant, Lanesborough CDE & F Management Company, had reconsidered and increased its offer to €50,000 together with special damages and expenses which brought the proffered settlement up to €52,133. Judge Aylmer approved the new offer with costs against the defendant.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News