A 17-YEAR-OLD boy has been accused of stealing €5,200 from a Dublin pensioner who was allegedly tricked into believing his attic was flooded.
The boy had originally been charged with stealing €4,200 but Detective Garda Jason Miley told Judge Ann Ryan at the Dublin Children's Court today that the figure was to be amended and increased by a further €1,000.
Judge Ryan remanded the boy, who was accompanied to his hearing by his mother, on continuing bail for a hearing to determine his trial venue. He has not yet entered a plea and his case will continue next week.
The DPP has recommended that the teen's case should be dealt with in juvenile court if he pleads guilty otherwise it should to go forward to the Circuit Court, which has wider sentencing powers.
The teenager, who cannot be named because he is a juvenile, and a 24-year-old man had been charged earlier at Dublin Children's Court with theft and trespassing offences.
It is alleged they stole the money from an infirm 79-year-old widower, at his home on Ballyfermot Parade, in west Dublin on October 8 last.
Earlier, Detective James McDevitt had told the court that a 24-year-old man and the teen had entered the elderly man's home claiming there had been reports of a leak in his attic that needed to be fixed.
It would be alleged the man removed insulation from the pensioner's attic and wet it in the bathroom of the house.
Det-Gda McDevitt had said there was no evidence of any burst pipes in the attic and a piece of insulation had been found in a bath in the widower's house.
The court had heard earlier that the elderly man felt threatened and had been left in an extremely distressed state.
Det-Gda Miley had said earlier that it was alleged the teenager blocked him and his colleague from entering the house. The front door lock had to be forced by gardai and the pair were allegedly found in the kitchen of the 79-year-old man's house.