Friday 21 October 2016

Boy (7) suffered multiple cuts after glass door shattered in fitness club

Saurya Cherfi

Published 19/04/2016 | 13:08

Tallaght Hospital
Tallaght Hospital

A seven-year-old schoolboy, who suffered multiple cuts to his body after a glass shower door shattered on him, has been awarded €20,000 damages in the Circuit Civil Court against a fitness club.

  • Go To

Barrister Kristian Douglas told the court the incident happened in September 2014 after Finn Daniel Ennis had a swimming lesson at Energie Fitness Gym, Nutgrove, Dublin.  

Mr Douglas said when Finn, who was in the shower in the gym changing room area, pushed the shower door, the glass shattered over him, cutting his shoulder, shin and feet. 

Circuit Court President Mr Justice Raymond Groarke was told that Finn’s mother, Sallie Ennis, after hearing a scream and a commotion, entered the shower area and found her son bleeding profusely, with shards of glass covering his body.

Ms Ennis had taken her son into another shower cubicle to rinse away the blood and remove some of the shards. Finn had then been taken to the A&E Department of Tallaght Hospital, Dublin, where the cuts were stitched.

The court heard that Finn had a problem sleeping for several weeks following the incident.

Through his mother Sallie, a teacher of Kingston Heights, Ballinteer, Dublin, Finn sued Prime Fitness Ltd, which trades as Energie Fitness, for negligence.

Mr Douglas, who appeared with Orpen Franks solicitors, said the defendant had made a €20,000 settlement offer, which he recommended to the court. 

Judge Groarke, hearing that the cuts had left scars on Finn’s right foot and ankle, approved the offer.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News