A 17-YEAR-OLD boy, who claimed he was paid to take part in an arson attack on a car which caused €11,000 worth of damages, has been sentenced to supervised probation for one year.
The teenager pleaded guilty at the Children's Court to criminal damage to a '04-reg Mercedes at St Joseph's Parade, Dorset St, in Dublin, on April 14, 2011. He also admitted being involved in drink fuelled breach of the peace charge relating to a different incident.
Today, Judge Ann Ryan noted that the boy had co-operated with his probation officer who worked with him to address his offending. She also heard that he has not continued to come to garda attention.
She imposed a 12-month probation bond on the youth, who was accompanied to his hearing by his mother. Judge Ryan said the teenager must continue to accept guidance from the Probation Service, which is going to help him get onto a training course.
The teenager, who was accompanied to his hearing by his mother, could be brought back to court and detained, if he does not comply with the terms of the probation order or if he re-offends.
He had prior convictions for not attending a court case, burglary, travelling in a stolen vehicle and robbery, for which he had been previously sentenced to probation.
After the arson, he was seen on CCTV footage going to a hospital to get treated for burns to his hands. He was later questioned by gardaí and made admissions.
Garda Jeremy Gibbons had said the teenager and an accomplice were brought from north Co. Dublin into the city-centre. “They set fire to the vehicle by smashing the window, pouring petrol in and setting fire to it,” Gda Gibbons had told the court.
At an earlier stage the court has been told the Probation Service had found that he was at moderate risk of committing more crimes; his peer group, lack of education and alcohol issues were also identified as problems for him.
The HSE had also been providing assistance to the boy's family for a number of years, the juvenile court has heard.