Boy (15) accused of Halloween stab murder granted bail
Published 06/04/2016 | 02:30
A 15-year-old boy has been granted bail after he was charged with the murder of a young Dublin man who was stabbed on Halloween night.
Lorcan O'Reilly (21), from Robert Emmet Close in south inner city Dublin, was stabbed in the nearby Oliver Bond flat complex in the early hours of November 1 last year.
He sustained a single stab wound to the heart and was rushed to St James's Hospital but was pronounced dead a short time later.
Detectives arrested the 15-year-old boy last Thursday morning. The teenager, who cannot be named because he is a minor, appeared in court on Friday and was charged with the murder of Mr O'Reilly.
Due to the nature of the charge, the juvenile court did not have the power to grant bail and the boy was remanded in custody to the Trinity House detention centre in Co Dublin. The teenager made an application to be released at the High Court sitting in Cloverhill yesterday and was granted bail.
He is due to appear again at the juvenile court on Friday.
At his first hearing last Friday, he was accompanied by his mother and granny.
However, Judge William Hamill said "perhaps due to the gravity of the charge, it would be entirely appropriate, in his interest, to have both his parents attend".
Defence solicitor John Quinn said he would contact the teen's father about attending when the case resumes on April 8.