Friday 2 December 2016

BoI guard fired after €7.5m raid 'wants old post back'

Mark Hilliard

Published 07/07/2011 | 05:00

A FORMER Bank of Ireland security guard who was fired in the wake of the State's biggest ever tiger kidnap raid yesterday told the Employment Appeals Tribunal that he wants his old job back.

  • Go To

David Lynch (43), who had been based at the College Green branch in Dublin, was dismissed following the theft of €7.5m in February 2009.

During the heist, a gang forced a bank official to drive to the branch and hand over pictures of his captive girlfriend and her family so that he could collect the money without the alarm being raised.

Yesterday, an Employment Appeals Tribunal hearing was told that Mr Lynch, who was on duty at the time, lost his job for failing to follow correct procedures. He has denied any wrongdoing.

However, Bank of Ireland said it would not contest the case as this would involve discussing sensitive security information, which could endanger the lives of employees.

This effectively means Mr Lynch has won his action and now the tribunal must decide on what award to make.

It has an option to reinstate him to his previous role, offer alternative work with the employer or award financial compensation.

Barrister for Bank of Ireland Tom Mallon told the tribunal it would be "highly inappropriate" for a security guard dismissed from a bank to be reinstated.

He also objected to a suggestion that Mr Lynch would take up an alternative position.

Failure

He said Mr Lynch was dismissed in the bank's opinion by reason of a failure to comply with correct procedures during a tiger kidnapping.

"I have said that the bank's primary concern always in these matters and in the present climate is for the safety of the staff," Mr Mallon said.

"The bank regretfully is not in a position for this material to be exposed, even for this forum.

"In effect I am conceding by not offering a defence."

Mr Lynch said he had been employed at the bank in June 1999 and dismissed in November 2009.

Expressing his desire to return to his former employment, he said: "I have done nothing wrong."

Tribunal chairman Charles Corcoran adjourned the case.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News