Bohs fans facing stadium ban over 40 man brawl
Published 29/05/2015 | 07:35
A NUMBER of Irish football fans are set to receive stadium bans for their involvement in a 40-man brawl with rival supporters earlier this year.
Three Bohemians FC supporters were convicted of taking part in the mass fight with fans from rival club Shamrock Rovers.
The three – Martin Sands (22), Dane Russell (28) and Ronan O’Callaghan (30) – appeared before Tallaght District Court this week.
Judge Bridget Reilly fined Sands €500 and ordered Russell and O’Callaghan to pay €400 to charity.
Sands, with an address at Robert Emmett Close, Dublin 8; Russell, with an address at Carnlough Road, Cabra; and O’Callaghan, with an address at Finglas Wood Road, Finglas, all pleaded guilty to engaging in threatening and abusive behaviour at Level One car park, The Square, Tallaght, last April 18.
A spokesperson for Bohemians FC said fans of the club seen to be engaging in disorderly behaviour are liable to receive stadium bans for future home matches.
“Any supporter convicted of disorderly behaviour at away matches will be sanctioned by the club,” the spokesperson said.
“A stadium ban is subject to appeal after a certain period. The ban will be in place for home games, as it is difficult for the club to control away attendance of its supporters.”
Sands is already subject to a stadium ban from Dalymount Park, the club’s home ground.
He received the ban after an incident away last year.
St Eithne Madden told the court that at 1am gardai responded to a call that a fight had broken out between two groups of males at Level One car park near Rovers’ Tallaght Stadium.
She said 40 men were involved and they had been at a football match earlier. The two teams were not playing each other on the day in question.