Boarded-up couple settle damages claim
A couple and their four-month-old baby who were mistakenly boarded up in their own home by council workmen have settled a €76,000 damages claims for an undisclosed sum.
Tristan Ua Ceithearnaigh (46) and his partner Elisa Udtohan (25) claimed they had been sitting in their home at 42 Eugene Street, Dublin 8, on December 14, 2010 when corrugated iron sheets were attached with six-inch nails to their front door and window.
Barrister Bernard McCabe told Judge Gerard Griffin in the Circuit Civil Court yesterday the couple, now of The Mews, Collegeland, Saggart, Co Dublin, had settled the claims.
In their claims, the couple said they feared criminals were outside when they heard hammering at the door. Mr Ua Ceithearnaigh dialled 999 and shouted at the men after seeing six-inch nails come through the door frame.
The workmen asked him if he was a squatter and he told them it was a privately rented house. He heard someone say: "Hold on a minute," and they then started pulling nails out of the door frame, removing the corrugated iron.
Through a spy-hole he saw two Dublin City Council vans outside. He opened the front door and saw workmen, who were with the vans, begin fixing corrugated iron sheets they had removed from his home to a vacant house next door.
The couple left the dwelling shortly afterwards to find a new home.
Judge Griffin struck out both actions on foot of undisclosed settlements.