News Courts

Monday 22 September 2014

'Black Widow' denied court appearance over late husband's estate

Published 14/02/2013 | 13:50

  • Share
Catherine Nevin

MURDERER Catherine Nevin has been refused permission to be present in court tomorrow for the start of a battle to have her disinherited from her husband's fortune.

  • Share
  • Go To

She has also made a new bid for freedom, lodging fresh papers to have her case heard by the Supreme Court - reigniting a previous attempt struck out by the courts two months ago.

The 61-year-old woman who hired a hitman to kill her husband, Tom at their pub Jack White's Inn in Brittas, is trying to block attempts by his siblings to prevent her getting access to his estate.

Catherine Nevin's solicitor, Anne Fitzgibbons had attempted to block the hearing, saying an agreement had been made that this civil action would not go ahead if there were any criminal matters outstanding.

At a hearing before the President of the High Court today, she said she had lodged a fresh appeal with the Supreme Court yesterday and so criminal matters were still pending.

However the President could find no evidence of this in the legal files and directed that the civil hearing should go ahead tomorrow.

Some time later, he recalled the legal teams and said he had uncovered the new application to the Supreme Court - but ruled that this did not affect his previous judgement allowing the hearing to go ahead tomorrow.

Ms Fitzgibbon asked that her client be allowed to attend tomorrow's hearing but the President refused, saying that Mrs Nevin may have to give evidence at a later date but that this will not happen tomorrow.

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News