Bid to halt damages action by Ian Bailey's partner
Published 14/04/2015 | 02:30
The State has moved to halt an action for damages brought by Jules Thomas, the long-time partner of Ian Bailey.
Her case is over her alleged wrongful arrest by gardaí investigating the late 1996 murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier.
Mr Justice John Hedigan was told an application is being prepared to have Ms Thomas's High Court case struck out, on grounds it was brought outside the six-year time limit.
The judge told David Lennon BL, for the Garda Commissioner and State, the strike-out application could be listed on May 11.
The judge will also be dealing on that date with liability for the substantial costs of Mr Bailey's own failed case against the State. The costs of the 64-day action, which concluded on March 30, are expected at between €2m and €5m.
Yesterday, Mr Lennon said the sides had agreed the costs issues could be adjourned to May 11.
Mr Bailey's side were not in court for the brief mention but it is believed he is actively considering an appeal against the dismissal of his case.
Last month, the jury of seven men and four women took just over two hours to reach their unanimous verdict dismissing Mr Bailey's action over the conduct of the investigation into the murder of the French film-maker.