Monday 23 October 2017

Bandon murder probe: Two due in court

The scene near St Finbarr's Place in Bandon, Co Cork, where a second body was discovered today
The scene near St Finbarr's Place in Bandon, Co Cork, where a second body was discovered today

Ed Carty and Independent.ie reporters

A CZECH man and woman, arrested as part of a murder investigation, are due to appear in court in connection with the killing of Jonathan Duke (27).

The move comes after a second man was found dead in a Cork river near where Mr Duke was dumped after being murdered.



The second body is believed to be an Englishman missing from his home in an apartment complex in Bandon, Co Cork, where local man Jonathan Duke, 27, was killed on Sunday night.



The body was discovered this morning about a mile downstream from where the father-of-one was seen being thrown into the River Bandon after being murdered.



Gardai investigating the killing following a row during a party at the nearby Bridge House apartment block launched a huge search operation after discovering that the Englishman had not been seen since Saturday evening.



It is understood the second man found dead had been living in Bandon but has relatives in the UK.



Gardai, civil defence teams and the Irish Coastguard helicopter had been involved in river bank searches in Bandon amid concerns for the Englishman's safety.



He is aged in his 40s.



It is understood a number of people had been drinking in a flat near Bandon Bridge over the weekend.



The two suspects were arrested a short while after gardai had been alerted to reports of a body being dumped in the River Bandon.



Gardai formally declared Mr Duke's death a murder investigation after a post-mortem examination showed he died violently.



Officers said they would not reveal exactly how he died for operational reasons.



A post-mortem examination is to be carried out later on the second body.



Mr Duke, the father of a seven-year-old girl, cheated death more than two years ago when he fell from a window in the same block of flats where he is believed to have been assaulted. He was in hospital for six months.



His mother, Michelle, and three sisters are said to be devastated by his death.



It is understood Mr Duke's mother was working in the Ho Kee Chinese restaurant just feet away from where his body was found in the river as the drama unfolded - unaware that her son was being pulled from the water.



Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News