Wednesday 28 September 2016

Baby was in house when garda's son shot dead

Laura Larkin

Published 25/03/2016 | 02:30

stock image
stock image

An inquest into the murder of a former garda's son has heard that his baby daughter was in the house at the time he was killed.

  • Go To

Sean Cloherty (27) died when he suffered multiple shots to the chest in his living room in Blakestown, Dublin 15 in November 2008.

Gardaí discovered the infant - who was just 17 months old at the time - asleep in her cot upstairs when they arrived on the scene shortly after 8pm on Tuesday, November 25. She was unharmed in the shooting.

It has not been clearly established when Mr Cloherty died. He last spoke with his girlfriend at 10am on Monday ,November 24, but his body was not discovered until the next evening. His young daughter was due to attend a local crèche on the Tuesday but did not turn up.

The baby's mother, Antoinette Carroll, told the Dublin city coroner that her daughter was doing well. Both Ms Carroll and the couple's son were staying in her dad's house on the Monday evening.

The killing was described as "targeted" by the coroner, but despite an extensive garda investigation nobody has ever been charged with the murder.

Notorious

At the time of his death, the garda's son had become involved in drug-dealing for a notorious northside drugs gang.

He was previously questioned over a substantial drugs haul but he had no serious convictions. He had been due to go before the courts on drug charges,.

Mr Cloherty's father Shay was a respected sergeant in the Harcourt Terrace station. Gda Cloherty lost his battle with cancer six months before his son's death.

A friend of the deceased, Karl Larkin, discovered Mr Cloherty's body. He was also the last person to see Mr Cloherty at his home on Monday evening and said that he did not seem fearful.

Seamus Cloherty, the brother of the murdered man and who now lives in Australia, said he "had no idea" who would want to kill his brother. A verdict of unlawful killing by person or persons unknown was returned by the jury and a garda investigation into the murder of the dad-of-two remains open.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News