Tuesday 6 December 2016

Assault victim's family tell of their gratitude after flood of sympathy

Father of one charged in connection with incident

Edel O'Connell and Tom Tuite

Published 13/10/2010 | 05:00

THE family of an Englishman who died following an assault have expressed their gratitude to the people of Ireland who have inundated them with cards and messages of sympathy.

  • Go To

The statement from the family of Raymond Bates, a 49-year-old pipe-layer from Durham, came as a 29-year-old man was charged with assaulting him, causing serious harm last month.

Mr Bates sustained serious head injuries following an incident at the junction of Sandymount Road, Newbridge Avenue and Tritonville Road in Sandymount, Dublin 4, on September 26.

He felt unwell the next day and went to St Vincent's Hospital. He was transferred from there to Beaumont Hospital, where he lapsed into a coma and died on the evening of September 30.

Yesterday at Dublin District Court, Karl Donahue, a father of one from Fisherman's Wharf in Ringsend, Dublin, was charged with causing serious harm to Mr Bates under Section 4 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act.

Detective Sergeant Barry Walsh told Judge Timothy Lucey that the accused was arrested at 12.12am yesterday at Irishtown garda station.

Charges

He said the defendant, who was dressed in blue jeans, a striped jumper and runners, made "no reply" when he was charged. He also said that "there may be more serious charges."

He applied for a remand in custody for a week but agreed with defence solicitor Michael Kelleher that he wouldn't object to bail subject to conditions.

Judge Lucey remanded the defendant in custody with consent to bail, which was not taken up immediately, on his own bond of €250 and subject to an independent surety of €5,000.

Mr Donahue was ordered to sign on three times a week at Irishtown garda station, surrender his passport, and not apply for a new one, and to notify gardai of any change of address.

The accused, who remained silent during his hearing, will appear again at Cloverhill District Court on October 19.

Mr Bates's wife, Brenda, her sister Vivien, and his three sons travelled to Dublin to be with him when he was in a coma in Beaumont Hospital. However, the family returned to Britain after his death.

A spokeswoman for the family told the Irish Independent that they were still "in the dark" as to when the deceased's remains would be released to them.

Mr Bates's sister-in-law, Vivien, said the family had not as yet been in a position to make funeral arrangements. She added that sympathy cards had been flowing into the family home in Durham from Irish people seeking to offer their condolences to the family since Mr Bates's death.

"I would like to thank the people of Ireland who have been sending through lots of cards and messages of sympathy," she said.

"These messages are coming to us from complete strangers, most of whom are not leaving any contact numbers and addresses, so we really wanted to thank them publicly," she added.

Mr Bates had only been in Dublin for a few months and was living in rented accommodation while working as a pipe-layer .

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News