Friday 31 October 2014

Assault charge after man's body recovered from river

Eoghan MacConnell

Published 23/06/2014 | 02:30

Gardai hold back a friend of the alleged murder victim Patryk Krupa outside Athlone District Court
Accused Leszek Sychulec
Victim Patryk Krupa

A MAN has been charged in connection with the murder of a Polish national whose body was discovered in a river.

The remains of Patryk Krupa (23) were discovered in the River Shannon at Bogganfin in Athlone, Co Roscommon, last Friday.

Leszek Sychulec (32) with an address at Drinan, Ballymahon, Co Longford was charged with falsely imprisoning the dead man and assault causing harm at Bogganfin on June 20 at a special sitting of Athlone District Court yesterday.

Mr Sychulec was further charged with threatening to kill or cause harm to Ewa Krasinska at Athlone Garda Station on June 21.

A Polish interpreter was in court as Garda Aidan Lyons gave evidence of arrest and caution. He said Sychulec "made no reply" when charged at Athlone Garda Station shortly after his arrest at 11.50am yesterday.

Superintendent Noreen McBrien applied to have the defendant remanded in custody to Cloverhill Prison to appear before Cloverhill District Court on Friday. She said the investigation is continuing and "there may be further more serious charges."

Solicitor Owen Carty said his client, who has lived in Ireland for the past year having previously lived in Ireland around four years ago, was not seeking bail.

Mr Carty applied for legal aid and said the man was unemployed but not in receipt of social welfare.

"He tells me that his partner supports him," he said, adding that his client has no bank account.

Judge Seamus Hughes wanted to know whether the man had transferred money through the Western Union in the past fortnight. When told the man hadn't, Judge Hughes directed the gardai to investigate whether any transfers had been made. He deferred legal aid and remanded the defendant to Cloverhill Prison to appear before Cloverhill District Court on Friday.

A crowd of around 70 had gathered outside the district court as Mr Sychulec was brought in. Uniformed and plainclothes gardai were backed up by an armed response unit as the crowd hurled abuse at the defendant.

Once in court, Mr Sychulec, who was dressed in a red t-shirt and black track suit bottoms appeared relaxed. One woman began furiously shouting in Polish as he was being removed from the court.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News