News Courts

Saturday 20 September 2014

Assault case is dropped against top restaurateur

Tom Tuite

Published 02/05/2014 | 02:30

  • Share
Paul Byrne
Paul Byrne

The Director of Public Prosecutions has decided to drop a case which had been brought against a businessman who had been accused of attacking a bar manager at a Dublin pub.

  • Share
  • Go To

Paul Byrne (47), of upmarket food store and restaurant Fallon & Byrne and with an address at Mount Pleasant Square, Ranelagh, Dublin, had been charged with assault causing harm to the man, at the Leeson Lounge, on Leeson Street, on March 5 last year.

In February, Judge Michael Walsh had heard at Dublin District Court that the DPP had directed summary disposal.

This meant the case could be dealt with at district court level instead of being sent forward to the Circuit Court, which has tougher sentencing powers.

However, after being furnished with a medical report, and hearing an outline of the evidence, he refused jurisdiction, meaning it would have to forward to the higher court.

At that preliminary hearing, on February 13, Judge Walsh had been told the bar manager had allegedly been assaulted when he was attempting to remove another man who had been with Mr Byrne.

He appeared again yesterday at the District Court for a book of evidence to be served on him. However, state solicitor Rachel Joyce explained to Judge Walsh that the case would not be proceeding. She said the DPP had issued a direction "to withdraw the prosecution", after which the judge said he was striking it out.

Irish Independent

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News