Friday 30 September 2016

Aisling Brady McCarthy: 'Let her get a plane home as soon as possible'

Sam Griffin and Wayne O'Connor

Published 01/09/2015 | 02:30

Cavan nanny Aisling Brady McCarthy: cleared of any wrong-doing after a two-year court ordeal following charges over the death of a one-year-old baby in her care
Cavan nanny Aisling Brady McCarthy: cleared of any wrong-doing after a two-year court ordeal following charges over the death of a one-year-old baby in her care

The Irish nanny wrongly accused of murdering a baby girl in her care in Massachusetts said she wants to return to Ireland as soon as possible.

  • Go To

Aisling Brady McCarthy (37) had a two-and-a-half year case against her dropped yesterday after a US medical examiner ruled that the 12-month-old child in her care had not been murdered but had died from undetermined injuries.

Her lawyer, Melinda Thompson, said Ms Brady McCarthy wants to get home to Ireland quickly, and appealed to the immigration authorities to “let her get on a plane as soon as possible”, adding her client’s life had been ruined by what had happened.

"It was a tragedy that a child died, but, quite frankly, the way this prosecution was handled was a complete disgrace,” Ms Thompson said.

Aisling Brady McCarthy, from Co Cavan, was charged with the murder of one-year-old baby Rehma Sabir at the child's home in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 2013.

The two-and-a-half year long case against the Irish nanny was dramatically dropped by US prosecutors yesterday however when medical examiners said they could no longer rule the manner of death as homicide.

"Based on an assessment of the present state of the evidence, including the amended ruling from the Medical Examiner who performed the autopsy, the Commonwealth cannot meet its burden of proof," District Attorney Marian Ryan said.

As a result the District Attorney said she could no longer meet the burden of proof required for murder and dropped the charges.

Ms Brady McCarthy had resolutely denied any wrongdoing throughout the case and had been released from prison on bail in May but remained under house arrest.

The 37-year-old’s legal team said their client's life had been "ruined" by something that never even happened.

"Miss McCarthy was put in jail for two years over a crime that never occurred," lawyer Melinda Thompson.

"Not just a crime that she did not commit, but a crime that did not occur. The life of an innocent woman was ruined."

She said her client wants to return home to Ireland as soon as possible.

Ms Brady McCarthy's legal team were already due to request the case be thrown out at a hearing scheduled this week.

Friends of the nanny's family, in the small village of Lavey, also welcomed the news.

"This is unbelievable. She has been in jail for more than two year now and really she should not have been there at all," Councillor Val Smith told the Irish Independent.

"It is tremendous for her mother Margaret because she has been worried sick."

The developments were also welcomed by local TD Joe O'Reilly said he was hopeful she could now "rebuild her life".

She is expected to now be deported from the US, where she had been working illegally since 2002.

The case against the 37-year-old nanny centred on the evidence of a US medical examiner who performed an autopsy.

Her legal team had challenged the charges and sought their own experts.

Medical examiners then reopened investigations into the cause of death.

Last week, they ordered the cause of death be changed after reviewing additional material and considering the baby's previous medical conditions.

"Given these uncertainties, I am no longer convinced that the subdural haemorrhage in this case could only have been caused by abusive/inflicted head trauma, and I can no longer rule the manner of death as a homicide," the medical examiner said.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News