Accused teen flees care for 35th time in two months
Published 28/09/2010 | 05:00
A TEENAGE girl in HSE care absconded at the weekend and has gone missing for the 35th time since the beginning of August.
The girl has pleaded guilty to criminal damage to a door at a children's care home in north Dublin on May 30.
Meanwhile, her solicitor told the court yesterday that "time is of the essence" for the HSE to review its care plan for the troubled 17-year-old.
Judge Bryan Smyth issued a bench warrant for the girl, who left her care home on Sunday.
Garda Sergeant Seamus Treacy applied for the warrant after telling the court the teenager was reported missing from a care home at 10.30pm and "as of this morning, she has not returned".
Defence solicitor Gareth Noble described the girl as "at risk" and said she had been "reported missing continuously".
"I am sure the HSE will do its best to bring forward the review, time is of the essence," Mr Noble added.
Sgt Treacy told the Dublin Children's Court he had been liaising with the girl's care workers and social workers but the girl was not co-operative.
He had also raised concerns about the girl absconding from care and said she had gone missing 23 times in August and on 11 other occasions so far this month.
He also said that there was a risk of her being involved in offending when she went missing.