News Courts

Wednesday 17 September 2014

Abuser's family may ask victims for help to meet his expenses

Dearbhail McDonald Legal Editor

Published 24/11/2012 | 05:00

  • Share

THE family of an elderly businessman at the centre of a landmark abuse case may have to ask his victims' lawyers to release money to meet his daily living expenses.

  • Share
  • Go To

Joseph Carrick (76) , a retired company director, has been ordered not to reduce his assets below €5m after two women who were raped by him as schoolgirls were awarded €4.7m in compensation.

Earlier this week, two High Court juries found that Joseph Carrick "repeatedly and systematically" raped and sexually assaulted childhood friends and cousins Jacqueline O'Toole and Geraldine Nolan.

The court heard the abuse occurred between 1970 and 1973, when both women were 12 and 13 years of age.

Mr Carrick, with an address at Carysfort Woods, Blackrock, Co Dublin, did not defend the civil actions.

Ms O'Toole, who was raped and made pregnant by Carrick as a schoolgirl, was awarded a record €4m in damages. Geraldine Nolan, who was also raped and abused by Carrick, received €700,000 in damages from a separate High Court jury.

Carrick, a former director of a successful shipping company, dropped his lawyers last month, saying that he could not afford to instruct them as his financial situation "has deteriorated".

His bank accounts and payments were frozen by the High Court in the wake of the awards and were continued yesterday.

The High Court heard Carrick's family may apply at a later date to be allowed living expenses.

Richard Lyons SC, for the women, said his clients intended to seek an order from the court compelling Carrick to provide information about his assets in aid of execution of the judgment against him.

Surgery

A solicitor with a firm that previously represented Carrick told the court that his family would seek to vary the freezing orders to allow a living allowance.

A figure for the allowance would be provided to the two women's legal representatives. The court heard Carrick has one dependent child and had "serious surgery" last Tuesday.

Ms Justice Elizabeth Dunne, who said she appreciated Carrick's former solicitors "were in a difficult position", continued the freezing in its current form and adjourned the case to a date in early December.

Any application to vary the orders will be considered on that date. The married father of five is separately being sued by another man who claimed Carrick abused him in the 1970s.

Carrick is believed to have received €1m in 2009 from the sale of his half-share in a shipping company and may hold up to six pensions. His victims also believe he owns his family home, apartments, a bungalow and a half-share in a farm.

In court papers, the women say they are "fearful" that Carrick will dispose of the properties as well as money in his accounts and pensions.

Irish Independent

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News