€6m for woman with cerebral palsy who sued HSE
A 20-year-old woman who has cerebral palsy has settled for €6m her High Court action against the HSE over her care at the time of her birth.
The settlement for Nadine Wilkin, approved by Mr Justice Kevin Cross, was without an admission of liability.
Ms Wilkin's parents said the settlement will give them comfort to know Nadine will receive everything she needs to make her life more comfortable.
Nadine, of Abbey Park, Manorcunningham, Letterkenny, Co Donegal, through her mother Judith Wilkin, sued the HSE over her care at the time of her birth at Letterkenny General Hospital on June 11, 1996.
It was claimed there was a delay in her delivery by caesarean section and an alleged failure to treat her case as an emergency. The claims were denied.
Nadine's counsel, Denis McCullough, said Nadine is a bright young woman who has dyskinetic cerebral palsy and is in a wheelchair. She has high care needs and has to be fed through a peg tube. Mr Justice Cross said he had no hesitation in approving the settlement.
Outside court, the family's solicitor Joice Carthy read out a statement, saying: "Whilst we have put everything we have into her care, we have not been able financially to provide the level of care she needed.
"If Nadine had been receiving this care... we believe it would have improved her abilities and her quality of life."