Tuesday 26 September 2017

16-year-old girl to be sentenced over spate of vicious phone robberies in Dublin

BY TOM TUITE

A 16-YEAR-OLD girl will be sentenced next month for a spate of vicious phone robberies in Dublin city-centre.

Today at the Dublin Children's Court Judge John O'Connor ordered that the case would not be finalised until the teen has done further restorative justice work with the Probation Service which is helping her to address her offending.

He told her that this was so she could “face up to the fact that what you did was wrong and that there were victims that were affected”.

The girl, who is in care, has pleaded guilty to three robberies and also admitted public order offences.

The girl, who was accompanied to her hearing by her mother and a care worker, had earlier been described by the judge as vulnerable and he had said she had a lot of issues “both family and otherwise”.

An earlier Probation Service report has found that she is in “the high risk category of re-offending”.

But today defence solicitor Paul Byrne said that the latest report had shown the girl, has been making “substantial progress”.

Earlier, Judge O'Connor was told that on the morning of September 1 last year at St John Rogerson's Quay the girl approached a woman, “grabbed her by her hair with both hands and pulled her to the ground”.

The teen fled but was arrested at Custom House Quay but had flung a phone, which was taken from the woman, into the Liffey, “just prior to being stopped by gardai”.

On October 6 last year at the Liffey Boardwalk, she approached another woman “grabbed her by the air, took a mobile phone and fled”.

She also admitted robbery of a man who had his smart-phone taken during an incident in Dublin city-centre in September last year.

And the court heard that on another date, the girl, who has no prior criminal convictions, had been drunk and was “picking fights with members of the public”.

The girl has also got onto a  training course and attendance there has been made a condition of her bail.

In August, the court had heard that she  had sparked massive concerns for her safety when she absconded from a children's care home for a week.

However, since then, the girl has remained at her accommodation.

As a condition of bail, the teen has also been ordered her to obey a 8pm to 8am curfew at her care home and to sign on three times a day at her local garda station.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News