Couples forced to move wedding venues after winter vomiting bug closes popular hotel
Published 20/12/2016 | 16:50
Couples who are due to wed are among those who have been forced to change venues as a well-known hotel has closed its doors temporarily following the outbreak of the vomiting bug.
The Slieve Russell Hotel in Co Cavan issued a statement saying they will close temporarily "as a precautionary measure" due to the outbreak of the Norovirus, which is the winter vomiting bug.
The hotel confirmed to Independent.ie that seven events have been impacted by the breakout of the bug, including a number of weddings.
However, most of those have been moved to a new venue already.
"The hotel has been working closely with the parties involved and making every effort to find alternative venues to minimise the inconvenience caused to these guests. Most of these functions have already been relocated," a spokeswoman said.
The four-star hotel, once owned by Seán Quinn’s family, informed the Health Service Executive (HSE) after its residents, staff and customers began suffering from vomiting and diarrhoea.
"We deeply regret any inconvenience caused to our guests by the temporary closure of the hotel as a precautionary measure due to an outbreak of the Norovirus, which has been prevalent in Cavan in recent weeks," the hotel said in a statement.
"We thank our guests for their patience and support while we complete a range of actions to safeguard all who visit or work at our premises."
The hotel said the decision will "disrupt plans of guest" who have booked events in the run-up to Christmas.
"We appreciate that this decision will the disrupt plans of guests who have booked events with us and we are making every effort to find alternative venues to minimise the inconvenience caused.
"We will continue to work closely with the HSE and the Environmental Health Officers and will advise as soon as possible when the hotel will be reopening."