Contractor electrocuted after touching cables
A MAN was electrocuted yesterday after a pole he had been helping to erect came into contact with overhead power cables.
The tragedy happened at around 12.30pm on land in a remote area at Ballybornagh, Boston, north Clare, close to the Galway border.
The victim, believed to be in his late 50s and from the Ballinasloe area of Co Galway, was married with a family.
Two men working for a contractor were carrying out work on behalf of ESB Networks. It is understood they were erecting a pole to carry power to a new house in the area.
It's understood that the men had dug a hole for the timber pole and while the JCB operator was lifting it into place, the pole touched overhead wires carrying 10,000 volts.
It is believed the victim may have been holding on to a metal stay wire, or came in contact with it during the lifting process, when he was killed.
The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The JCB driver was taken by ambulance to University Hospital Galway after being left deeply traumatised by the tragedy. He was otherwise uninjured.
The area was sealed off while a garda forensic team from Ennis carried out an examination of the scene.
An inspector from the Health and Safety Authority (HSA) also visited the scene and carried out a preliminary investigation into the incident.
A priest performed last rites over the body before the remains were removed to the Mid-Western Regional Hospital in Limerick for a post-mortem examination.
Gardai will investigate and prepare a file for the County Coroner, who will hold an inquest at a later date.