Conrad Gallagher restaurants face winding up order
CELEBRITY chef Conrad Gallagher has angrily denied suggestions he may quit Ireland for the US as "complete rubbish".
On Monday the High Court will hear a petition from the Revenue Commissioners to wind up companies that own two of the Donegal man's restaurants. In 2002, Gallagher moved to New York after a number of restaurants he operated in Dublin closed.
However, the 40-year-old last night denied he had plans to leave Ireland for the US should his businesses fail again.
"Rubbish. Complete and utter rubbish. This is a load of crap," Gallagher told the Irish Independent when asked about a possible move.
The chef said his latest business venture -- The Dining Room With Conrad Gallagher, which he is operating for businessman Louis Murray at La Stampa on Dawson Street in Dublin -- had its best week's business last week.
The father of three is also known to have put down strong roots in Ireland with his two children with South African Candice Coetzee, both aged under six, in school here. His elder daughter, from his previous relationship with chef Domini Kemp, also lives in Ireland.
He also denied claims his Salon des Saveurs eatery on Aungier Street had closed down. He has relocated the tasting restaurant at the new operation at La Stampa.
Salon des Saveurs and Conrad's Kitchen in Sligo -- which was open yesterday -- are run by Boutique Restaurants Concepts Ltd and Super Potato Limited.
The Revenue Commissioners will attempt to have both firms wound up in the High Court on Monday. Gallagher, who was just 26 when he won a Michelin star, is not listed as a director of either company which are in the names of his wife Candice and his mother Evelyn, respectively.
A statement issued on behalf of Gallagher in response to the Revenue Commissioners' petition said there was "no question of any monies due not being paid".
"Boutique Restaurant Concepts and Super Potato take their legal and company requirements extremely seriously," it said.
"The companies were concerned and surprised to learn of the notice as they had not received any prior notification in relation to the matter. They immediately contacted the relevant authorities to arrange a meeting to resolve the matter."
Gallagher moved back to Ireland with his family in the summer of 2009 after the collapse of his Geisha Wok and Noodle bar in Cape Town.