'Confused' man killed on motorway
Published 02/10/2010 | 05:00
A man killed yesterday after he wandered across four lanes of traffic on a busy motorway junction had been reported missing from his home on Thursday evening.
Gardai were investigating the disappearance of 68-year-old Brendan Kavanagh from Thomas Street in Dundalk, Co Louth.
Tragically, Mr Kavanagh who was said to have been in a "confused" state when he was last seen leaving his home at 6.30pm on Thursday, died after he was struck on the M7/M9 junction.
A lorry had to swerve to avoid Mr Kavanagh who was walking across the busy motorway, but he was later struck by a another vehicle.
Mr Kavanagh appeared to have climbed over a barrier and made his way across part of the motorway.
The horrific incident happened at 11am yesterday -- and the motorists who witnessed the crash were said to be in a shocked state last night.
Mr Kavanagh was pronounced dead at the scene and his body was removed to Naas General Hospital.
It is believed his car, a gold Renault Scenic hatchback may have broken down and he was attempting to cross the road.
A number of lanes along the commuter route were closed after the crash as garda forensic collision investigators examined the scene.
Tailbacks of 17km were reported as far as Kill, Co Kildare, as a result of the accident.
It is understood that gardai who attended the crash realised that the dead man matched the description of Mr Kavanagh, who had been reported missing yesterday.
His death was described by Kildare road safety officer Declan Kehoe as "very rare" last night -- as pedestrians are not permitted to walk on motorways.
He added: "We would say motorists should always expect the unexpected, Even though it's highly unlikely to see a pedestrian on a motorway."