A teenager who ended up in a serious condition in intensive care because of a "choking game" has been discharged from hospital.
The boy had been rushed to Temple Street Children's Hospital in an unconscious and critical condition.
He remained in the hospital over the weekend.
But now he has now been discharged and is said to be well.
The boy was initially treated in the intensive care unit and his condition stabilised.
Meanwhile, a spokesperson for the hospital told the Herald that the choking game "is an issue that the HSE might take a lead on in terms of educating parents and teenagers about the horrific dangers associated with it".
"It was the first case treated in Temple Street, but it is not a hospital-specific issue," the spokesperson added.
The game involves starving the brain of oxygen to get a high. Experts say there is anecdotal evidence that the game, which could have deadly consequences, is going on all over the country.
In the United States, 82 deaths have been recorded as a result of the game, with the majority of the deaths occurring among boys.
Young people are finding instructions on how to perform the choke on YouTube and other social media, and doctors say parents need to be made aware of the dangers.
Dr Kevin Carson of Temple Street said the game involves people "engaging in activity, by either self-strangulation or with a group of friends, by either applying hands to their neck and cutting off the blood supply to the brain by the carotid artery or by applying a noose or ligature to their neck".
He added: "Essentially, what they're doing is putting the ligature around the neck to the point where they become unconscious, and just before they become unconscious they get a euphoric high."
Dr Carson said there was a misconception that the high was "safe".
"The delusion is that they can get a high without drugs and that it is safe, but it is far from safe," he said.
"It's dangerous. It can have varying effects on the brain because it is starved of oxygen for a while and people have had loss of attention spans, short-term memory loss and seizures.
"Other children will actually end up dying and others will become severely handicapped with brain injury."
By Fiona Dillon