Friday 30 September 2016

Charging device explodes and causes fire in Dublin apartment

Sarah-Jane Murphy

Published 12/01/2016 | 08:52

The fire was caused when a phone charger was left on a bed
The fire was caused when a phone charger was left on a bed

Fire broke out in a city-centre apartment last night, after a charging device apparently burst into flames.

  • Go To

The fire was located in a bedroom in the Dublin 8 dwelling.

Dublin Fire Brigade want to remind people that beds and chargers don't mix
Dublin Fire Brigade want to remind people that beds and chargers don't mix

Crews from Dublin Fire Brigade attended the blaze in Inchicore and were able to bring the flames under control.

"We received the emergancy call at 20:58 last night," a DFB spokesperson told independent.ie.

"Three units of the Dublin Fire Brigade and one ambulance attended the scene.

"The fire was extinguished relatively quickly."

Pictures, tweeted by the DFB, show a charred mattress, with the springs clearly exposed.

Bed sheets and a portion of the duvet have been burnt away.

The DFB issued a stark warning to the public, reminding people that "beds and chargers don't mix."

"Be safe, keep all gadgets away from your bed," they tweeted.

THe NSAI (National Standards Authority of Ireland) also warned consumers to be extremely careful when buying and using electrical products.

“Everyone knows the rules of basic fire safety and indeed many look out for safety standards, such as the CE Mark, when buying electrical products. However, although the device may be manufactured to the correct safety standards, it can still become very dangerous, very quickly, if not used in the appropriate environment,” warned Pat Bracken, NSAI’s Director of Corporate Services.

“Electrical products like hair straighteners, hairdryers, laptops and phone chargers can be incredibly dangerous if left on beds or sofas. Although duvets and quilts often undergo flammability tests, accidents like this can still occur,” he added.

Some 326 fatal fires occurred in Ireland between 2005 and 2014, claiming the lives of 366 people.

The NSAI says that in the 158 instances where the cause of the fire was known, electrical appliances were suspected in 28 fatal fires (18pc of cases) while a further 3pc of fatal fires were attributed to electric blankets. In 2011 alone, 241 fires in Ireland were caused by electrical equipment.

NSAI Fire Safety Tips

1.       Smoke alarms: Make sure you have at least one on every floor.

2.      Test your smoke alarms weekly or ask someone to check it for you.

3.      Obvious dangers: Look for fire risks like overloaded sockets, candles and unattended appliances.

4.      Plan your escape route: Keep access routes clear and have your keys at the ready.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News