independent

Saturday 19 April 2014

Cars being searched as Belfast increases security after bomb explosion

Armed Police seal off the Cathedral Quarter in Belfast after a small explosion in Belfast city centre, police said the incident came after a telephone bomb warning had been made. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Friday December 13, 2013. Photo credit should read: Paul Faith/PA Wire
Armed Police seal off the Cathedral Quarter in Belfast after a small explosion in Belfast city centre, police said the incident came after a telephone bomb warning had been made. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Friday December 13, 2013. Photo credit should read: Paul Faith/PA Wire

Security measures are being ramped up in Belfast city centre following an explosion outside a busy restaurant that could have killed festive revellers.

With thousands expected to hit the capital's high streets on what is to be one of the busiest Christmas shopping days of the year, police have appealed for vigilance.

And businesses are continuing to urge people to support trade by venturing into the centre.

The city was left reeling after the bomb exploded in the bustling Cathedral Quarter district just before 7pm last night. No-one was injured in the blast.

Police were in the process of evacuating around a thousand people from bars, eateries, residential accommodation, a theatre and a hotel when the bomb exploded.

They were responding to a bomb warning phoned through to a Belfast newsroom.

A spokesman for the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) said today security would be stepped up to prevent a further attack on the city.

Police have been stopping cars and checking car boots at the entrance of Castle Court Shopping Centre in the city since last month.

Other security checkpoints were set up throughout Belfast after a man was forced by masked dissidents to drive a car bomb to a shopping centre that faces a police station last month.

That 60kg (132lb) device only partially exploded and no-one was injured.

In a separate statement today, the PSNI requested member of the public in north and west Belfast particularly to be vigilant over the coming weekend, and to report any suspicious behaviour.

The scene of the blast had been cleared this morning. There was no sign there had been an explosion - bar a slight black mark on a wall.

Police said last night that the person who made the warning call wrongly claimed the device had been left at a hotel, when it was actually placed on the pavement beside a restaurant.

Dissident republicans opposed to the peace process have been widely blamed for the attack.

While police described the explosion as "small" they said the device still had the potential to inflict lethal injuries.

In November dissidents were also blamed when a bus driver in Londonderry was forced to drive a bomb to a police station in the city. She abandoned the vehicle before reaching the destination and the device did not explode.

While the threat posed by the violent extremists has remained classed as severe, police have acknowledged a "surge" in activity has taken place in recent weeks.

Lyndsey Telford and David Young, Press Association

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Independent.ie on Twitter

More

Most Read

Daily Deals

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News