Tuesday 27 September 2016

Carbon monoxide poisoning ruled out in death of Irish couple

Lesley-Anne McKeown, Press Association

Published 08/06/2015 | 13:02

PSNI crest
PSNI crest

POLICE investigating the deaths of a couple in Northern Ireland have ruled out carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • Go To

The bodies of Kenneth Boughey, 68, and his 79-year-old wife Rita were found dead at their home in Co Antrim last week.

The couple, who were originally from Liverpool, had been dead for some time.

Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) Chief Inspector Mark McClarence said their deaths remain unexplained.

He said: "Post-mortem examinations were carried out on Friday and we are awaiting the results of further toxicology tests.

"However, the post-mortem ruled out carbon monoxide poisoning as a cause of death.

"At this time, the deaths continue to be treated as unexplained."

Emergency services were called to the house in the Abbey area of Ballycastle just after 8.30pm last Thursday.

It is understood Mrs Boughey's son made the grim discovery when he called at the house after becoming concerned.

The couple are believed to have been found in separate rooms.

There were no obvious signs of forced entry.

The Bougheys lived in Spain before moving to the north coast town about 10 years ago.

Local representatives said they were not well-known.

The Abbey is a new housing development comprising town houses and apartments on the site of a former convent close to Ballycastle town centre.

A number of the properties are holiday homes, while others are occupied by young families.

Independent councillor Padraig McShane said residents had been shocked by the couple's deaths.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News