Saturday 21 January 2017

Caravan shooting man dies in hospital from injuries

INDEPENDENT.IE REPORTERS, TOM BRADY AND FIONA ELLIS

Published 07/06/2011 | 05:00

Gardai at the scene of the shooting at Vivian Hand Caravan Park in Donabate, north Dublin yesterday
Gardai at the scene of the shooting at Vivian Hand Caravan Park in Donabate, north Dublin yesterday

The man shot in the head at a north Co Dublin caravan park yesterday has died in hospital.

  • Go To

The victim was named last night as Michael Taylor, in his 50s, from Summerhill in Dublin's north inner city.



Several shots were fired from a handgun as he stood outside the caravan in a privately owned park at New Road, off Corballis Road, in Donabate, around 4.40pm.



Mr Taylor was hit in the head and chest and was rushed to the intensive care unit at Beaumont Hospital where he was on life support until he passed away during the night.



His wife screamed when she heard the shots and ran crying towards the attackers, according to witnesses.



Gardai said at least two, and possibly three, men were involved in the gun attack.



A car was found burnt out shortly after the shooting at nearby Turvey Woods and two men were seen running from the scene. A technical examination of the car is to be carried out to establish if it was used by the gunmen in their getaway.



Several shots were fired at Mr Taylor in the frenzied attack and casings were later found on the ground. They were taken away for ballistic tests.



Officers said there was no immediate motive for the shooting. An associate of Mr Taylor had been questioned by gardai in the past about a murder on the northside of the capital and last night detectives were trying to determine if yesterday's shooting was linked to that incident. Mr Taylor was not involved in that shooting or questioned about it by gardai.



Minutes before the shooting, Mr Taylor had arrived at the caravan park, near Donabate golf club, and had stepped out of his car when two young men in tracksuits began shooting at him. Brian Dodrill said he heard four or five bangs and screaming. He saw the wife of the injured man run after the two shooters and then run back to her husband who lay on the ground outside the caravan.



"He had just got out of his car and I heard four or five shots. Next I heard screaming, he's been shot, he's been shot.



"I rang 999 and told them what happened. He had blood on his head and a hole in his back," he said. "He had his eyes open. He was twisting and turning. He just seemed to be moaning."



The attack happened at a holiday home site close to Donabate Hotel and just a short walk from the beach. It is a popular spot for Dubliners. The mobile homes are owned by residents and it costs €1,600 rent on the site per year. Some of the owners have had their holiday homes for decades. It is understood the Taylors were new to the park. One neighbour holidaying at the park said she saw people running and locked the door to her mobile home.



She described the mobile home park as "lovely and quiet" where people "kept to themselves".



"It is very quiet here. I can't believe it happened. It's horrible to think that this is your holiday home and this can happen. It's horrible, so frightening."

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News