Monday 23 January 2017

CAB annual report: More than €3.6m seized from criminals last year

Brian Hutton

Published 21/11/2011 | 13:42

More than €3m seized from criminals was handed over to the public purse last year.

  • Go To

Another €11.5 million in assets were frozen after court orders were obtained by the Criminal Assets Bureau (Cab).

Launching the agency's annual report, Justice Minister Alan Shatter said the Government was working on further strengthening the powers of the bureau.



"A review of the proceeds of crime legislation underpinning the operation of the bureau is continuing, with a view to concluding proposals which will give effect to this commitment," he said.



The report shows €4m in taxes and interest was collected during 2010 as a result of the bureau's work.



Social welfare savings amounted to more than €630,000 with €180,000 euro recovered.



Mr Shatter said the bureau's model of confiscating the proceeds of crime without the need for a conviction was recognised internationally.



The minister is lobbying for the same system to be rolled out Europe-wide.



"I believe such a measure will add real value to European cooperation in targeting the proceeds of crime," he said.



Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News