Wednesday 7 December 2016

C. diff in hospital

Published 06/11/2015 | 02:30

PATIENTS at a Galway hospital are being treated for an outbreak of the potentially fatal C. difficile superbug.

  • Go To

The outbreak first came to light last week when the Saolta hospital group, which oversees Portiuncula, confirmed a small number of cases of the superbug.

The group said the affected patients had been isolated and infection control measures were put in place. However, they were continuing to treat a number of infected patients last night.

The Clostridium difficile infection causes diarrhoea, stomach cramps, fever, nausea and loss of appetite.

Irish in Egypt

AVIATION chiefs will today review their ban on Irish airlines travelling to and from the troubled Egyptian region of Sinai.

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) last night confirmed up to 170 Irish passport holders are in Egypt, although the figure may be higher as registration of travel is not compulsory.

The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) plans to conduct a "security review" into the situation after it suspended all Irish airlines travelling to and from the Egyptian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh earlier this week.

This decision came after claims the Russian plane which crashed last weekend, killing all 224 people on board, was brought down by an "explosive device".

New treatment works

Irish Water will this morning announce that the construction of the €3.5m treatment plant at Kinvara in Galway will begin next year.

Kinvara is one of more than 40 towns which are subject to a formal investigation by the European Commission because wastewater from homes and business is discharged without any treatment into Kinvara Bay.

Irish Water said the plant would result in an improvement in water quality for 1,300 residents and allow for future expansion of the town.

Suspect on the run

THE chief suspect in a hit and run accident which claimed the life of a young Frenchman has fled Ireland.

The revelation came as a Cork coroner pleaded with gardaí to locate the driver of the van which struck Gabriel Jean Lege (25) in Cork city centre two years ago and immediately fled the scene, leaving him dying on the roadside.

Mr Lege suffered fatal injuries when he was struck at George's Quay on Halloween night in 2013.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News