News Irish News

Saturday 20 September 2014

Businessman ‘breaks into’ own home to finish off property

Aishling Phelan

Published 24/01/2014 | 15:30

  • Share

A retired businessman who ‘‘broke into’’ his own home in a well-known ghost estate has refurbished the house and is almost ready to move in.

  • Share
  • Go To

John Ryan Sr hit the headlines last year after he ignored security warnings that stated he was trespassing on private property to begin completing his home.

Sick of waiting for the completion of the sale at Ard na Deirge in Killaloe, Co Clare, he decided to take matters of water, sewerage and lighting into his own hands.

He has been busy since last July fitting the kitchen and tilling the bathroom and hallway to make the house habitable.

The father-of-one said he and his wife Breda have been given security warnings but insisted he was there so often, ‘‘they have given up on me.’’

The home was first purchased in 2006 and he was subsequently locked out of the house for over seven years.

After the initial builder could not get the finance needed to finish the estate, AIB and its receiver KPMG, took over the management of the ghost estate.

‘‘It would be a major achievement to make my house liveable after such a long time,’’ he told the Irish Examiner.

He hopes to have running water within the next two weeks once a plumber completes minor work.

The Tipperary native will bring in an electrician to connect his electrical supply from the meter to his house.

‘‘Once the plumbing and the electricity are connected, I will be able to move in full time with my wife Breda and son John once two bedrooms and two bathrooms are operational,’’ he said.

He is hoping to move in permanently by late February or March.

The former businessman has also been working on the neighbouring house which was purchased by his son John Ryan Jr.

Mr Ryan retired after running a hairdressing franchise business in Limerick and Clonmel. 

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News