Monday 24 April 2017

Bus strike threat in new year over pay

Shane Ross TD. Photo: Tom Burke
Shane Ross TD. Photo: Tom Burke

Anne Marie Walsh and Niall O'Connor

Bus Éireann passengers face a fresh strike threat in the new year as the company and unions clash over pay.

Unions are demanding a sizeable 21pc pay rise at the same time as Bus Éireann considers pay cuts that would reduce its 2,600 workers' wages by €5m.

Sources warned they have no alternative but to consult their members on industrial action after accusing management of pulling out of a Labour Court hearing yesterday.

"We have exhausted all processes available to us and there is no option left but to take industrial action," a senior union source told the Irish Independent last night.

Their fury grew after Transport Minister Shane Ross announced Bus Éireann is facing a financial crisis and could be insolvent in two years.

Mr Ross told his Cabinet colleagues that at least six routes on the Expressway service are now at immediate risk. He did not name the routes.

Bus Éireann suffered losses of €5.6m last year and predicts losses of €6m next year.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News