Irish News

Friday 1 August 2014

Brother made desperate bid to save blaze victim

Caroline Crawford

Published 01/04/2014|02:30

  • Share

THE brother of a farmer who died after he was engulfed in flames at his home had tried desperately to save him.

  • Share
  • Go To

Michael Kilcline (49) died after he caught on fire while in the kitchen of the farmhouse he shared with his brother John at Coolshaghtena, Weekfield, near Roscommon town.

It is believed his clothes may have caught fire while he was sitting in front of an open hearth at his home on Sunday night. Mr Kilcline had only returned home after spending a number of hours in Roscommon and was alone at the time of the tragedy.

John had left the house for a short period and discovered his brother engulfed in flames on his return.

He immediately doused the flames with water and dragged his brother from the room. However, Mr Kilcline was pronounced dead at the scene by emergency services.

Gardai were alerted to the fire at around 8.45pm.

"They had lived together at the farm all their lives. It's very hard on him (John) now," said local councillor Domnick Connolly, a friend of the family's. "Michael was a lovely lad."

Gardai sealed off the property yesterday for a technical examination.

Mr Kilcline's remains were taken to hospital where a post-mortem examination was carried out.

Irish Independent

Read More

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News