Bridge protest group vows to fight on
Published 29/08/2014 | 02:30
A GROUP protesting against a controversial bridge have vowed to fight on, despite being moved on by gardai and fences being erected around a construction site they had picketed for 24 hours a day.
Campaigners against the €3m bridge section of the new Central Access Scheme road project in Kilkenny city had been camped at the site close to Green's Bridge since early July, when construction started.
So far delays caused by the protest have cost the council over €420,000. Council officials, staff and about 10 gardai arrived at the site at 6am yesterday to allow completion of the fence.
"They obviously have no regard for our constitutional right to protest," said Mark Stewart of the Save Kilkenny umbrella group.
Council director of services John McCormack said the protesters had been asked several times to leave the area and when they refused were given official notice earlier this week that the site would be enclosed and the footpath be put off-limits.
He said Kilkenny County Council voted by 17 votes to five on Monday not to suspend construction work on the bridge.
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie