Brakes slammed on electric revolution following tiny uptake in new cars
Published 05/02/2012 | 05:00
The electric car revolution has been quelled by apathy among the car-buying public, new figures reveal.
Manufacturers and government agencies confidently predicted 2,000 sales of electric cars a year when the first charge point was launched in 2010. But the latest statistics show that just 48 electric vehicles were sold as private cars in 2011, according to the CSO.
In all, 597 new private cars were licensed last month, compared with 647 in December 2010 -- a decrease of 7.7 per cent. In 2011, 86,932 new private cars were licensed, those being 26.7 per cent petrol and 71 per cent diesel.
The remaining cars used a combination of petrol and electric (538 vehicles), petrol and ethanol (1,370 vehicles) and electric (48 vehicles).
Appeal launched over missing student
An appeal has been issued for missing DCU student Paul Bunbury, who was last seen at the Glasnevin student campus in Dublin at 4pm last Wednesday. He hasn't been online in over 24 hours and his phone is switched off, which friends say is out of character for him. If anyone has seen him or has any information, please contact Whitehall Garda Station on (01) 666 4500. There will also be a search at 2pm today in DCU, meeting at the Helix.
Man who shot himself in salon named
A man who killed himself in a Tyrone hairdressing salon on Friday afternoon has been named as Patrick Hughes.
Mr Hughes, who was in his 20s and lived in the Brantry area outside Dungannon, shot himself shortly after entering a hairdressing salon where his former girlfriend worked on Carland Road in the town.
A PSNI spokesman said they were not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.
No winner of €3.1m Lotto jackpot
THERE was no winner of last night's €3,128,370 Lotto jackpot. The numbers were 7, 9, 12, 25, 27, 45 (bonus 26).
There was one Match 5+bonus winner who gets €25,000; 48 Match 5s (€1,589); 141 Match 4+bonus (€136); 2,707 Match 4s (€43); 3,351 Match 3+bonus (€23); and 43,109 Match 3s get €5 each. The Lotto Plus 1 numbers were 11, 16, 18, 19, 22, 45 (bonus 14) and the Lotto Plus 2 numbers were 23, 27, 35, 36, 39, 40 (bonus 33).
In the UK draw for £4.1m the numbers were 4, 7, 40, 41, 45, 48 (bonus 46).
Court sits over submachine gun find
A MAN found with an Ingram submachine gun capable of firing 600 rounds a minute, appeared in court last night.
The man in his 30s, who also had ammuniton for the gun, appeared at a special sitting of Bray District Court charged in relation to the discovery of the weapon.
It was found when Gardai stopped a car at Sidmonton Square, Bray, on Thursday, February 2.
Lectures to document Dublin history
A prestigious new lecture series on the history of Dublin will be hosted in the Little Museum on St Stephen's Green, which will open on February 14 with a talk by Diarmaid Ferriter titled No Sex Please, We're Irish.
Charles Lysaght, Catriona Crowe, Mannix Flynn, Roy Foster and Mr Justice Adrian Hardiman are among the speakers in what promises to be a sellout series over the coming months. The lectures will all be given in the museum on St Stephen's Green, with a complimentary wine reception before each lecture. Tickets for individual lectures are available for €9.
Senator criticises refugee camp food
Labour Senator John Whelan has claimed that people in Irish refugee centres are being given milk and food that is past its sell-by date.
Speaking in the Seanad he said he had been informed that in certain centres that "there is no heating, food is being rationed and often food which is past its sell-by date is being served, which is disturbing".
He added that he had heard "disturbing reports about the conditions in which more asylum seekers... many of them children, are currently being held''.
Coast Guard chopper takes first flight
The Irish Coast Guard's new search and rescue helicopter has undertaken its first flight and first training missions.
However the new chopper won't enter service until July. The custom-fitted state-of-the-art Sikorsky S92A arrived in Southampton from the US before being flown to Shannon and unveiled on Monday afternoon.
After some installation work was carried out, the new helicopter took to the air for the first time on Thursday afternoon carrying out two flights as crews continue their conversion and familiarisation training.
Crews will continue their training in the coming months before the helicopter enters service on July 1.
Kenny visits families of fishermen
THE heartbroken families of two missing fishermen yesterday received a special visit from Taoiseach Enda Kenny. Mr Kenny visited Union Hall in west Cork yesterday morning as the two families vowed not to give up hope of finding the bodies despite a decision to wind down the huge search operation for them.
The Tit Bonhomme skipper, Michael Hayes, 52, and his Egyptian crewman, Saied aly Eldin, 24, are missing and feared drowned since their trawler struck rocks on January 15 in Glandore Bay, West Cork.
Unionist leader faces wave of pressure
The leader of the Unionist Party is facing a major internal crisis following his decision to discipline a party member. Tom Elliott could face a challenge to his leadership at the end of next month over the disciplinary hearings which arose out of secret talks with the DUP which he attended.
Mr Elliott faces an AGM at the end of March and if more details of the talks leak out before then he could face a vote of censure and a direct challenge to his leadership.
Vatican rejects charges of corruption
The Vatican City administration is rejecting accusations of corruption in the Holy See's awarding of contracts.
Last month, Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano revealed that he unsuccessfully begged the Pope not to transfer him to the US after he exposed alleged corruption that cost the Holy See millions of euro in high contract prices -- such as €550,000 the Vatican paid for a nativity crib in 2009.
Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano was the number two administrator in the Vatican City until he was sent to Washington as an envoy last August. Yesterday the Vatican's governship (which oversees outlays for contracts and financial investments) vigorously denied accusations that the Archbishop made in letters written to Pope Benedict XVI and to the Vatican secretary of state.
It said Archbishop Vigano's assertions were the "fruit of erroneous evaluations or based on unproven fears".