News Irish News

Thursday 8 December 2016

Boy(14) 'died after taking methadone overdose at party'

Claire O'Brien

Published 25/02/2010 | 05:00

Gardai were last night investigating the death of a 14-year-old boy who is understood to have died of a suspected methadone overdose.

  • Go To

The boy, who was from Edenderry, Co Offaly, was not a methadone user and gardai are investigating how he may have obtained the drug.

It is unclear whether he may have taken it in conjunction with alcohol or other drugs.

Toxicology reports are due in the next two days on the boy, who was rushed to hospital after being found in a critical state in his bed on Sunday morning.

The reports will confirm whether methadone was present, in what amount and with what other substances.

Gardai are not treating the death as suspicious. The boy had been out with friends in a number of houses and flats on Saturday night and made his own way back to his home.

He died at Tullamore General hospital on Tuesday morning and a post-mortem examination has been carried out.

It is understood he may have had access to a significant quantity of methadone on the night he died.

The boy had spent time in a juvenile detention centre and the HSE had been involved in his care at one time. His parents were separated.

The teenager, who is not being named by gardai at present, is due to be buried today.

Locals are "profoundly sad that someone so young could die in such circumstances", said Fergus McDonnell, chairperson of Edenderry Against Substance Abuse.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News