Boy (5) fights for his life after mystery explosion at home
Published 06/08/2010 | 05:00
A five-year-old boy was in intensive care in hospital last night after being seriously injured following a mystery explosion at his home.
Four units of the Dublin Fire Brigade were called to a house on Moatview Avenue in Priorswood, north Dublin, following reports of an explosion yesterday afternoon.
Paramedics rushed the boy to the Temple Street Children's Hospital where he was believed to have suffered burns to a third of his body. He was later transferred to the burns unit at the Crumlin Children's Hospital where his distraught parents were keeping a vigil at his bedside, according to a neighbour.
It is understood the explosion, which took place at around 3pm, may have been sparked by a lighter coming into contact with inflammable material.
No one else was injured and the house was not significantly damaged. Last night, builders were carrying out refurbishment work at the house. Friends and family at the house declined comment when contacted by the Irish Independent.
However, the local parish priest, Fr Terry Murray of Our Lady's Church in Darndale, said he feared something terrible had happened when he passed by the house.
"I drove past the house and saw the ambulance outside," he added. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the family at the moment."