Boy (5) dies after horror accident at home
A FIVE-YEAR-OLD boy has been killed after a fireplace collapsed on top of him.
The youngster was at home in the White's Cross area of north Cork when the tragedy occurred.
It is suspected that the chimney may have fractured or crumbled and the weight of the bricks and mortar forced the fireplace out.
Gardai and emergency services were called to the house at about 1.30pm where they found the child with life-threatening injuries.
He was rushed to Cork University Hospital where he was pronounced dead later.
The accident happened in the Coolgreen area of White's Cross in the family's two-storey detached home.
Gardai in Glanmire are leading the investigation and the local coroner's office has been notified.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie