Boy (2) dies after being crushed by chest of drawers
Published 06/01/2016 | 11:03
A two-year-old boy has died after being crushed by a chest of drawers.
Archie Tafts, from the village of Cloughmills, Co Antrim, suffered fatal injuries in the incident at his home on Tuesday when it is understood the piece of furniture fell on top of him
He was taken to hospital for treatment but died. His parents have appealed for privacy.
A statement by the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) on behalf of the family said they had "suffered a tremendous loss".
"Archie's parents and extended family would like to thank all who have expressed their condolences at this distressing and difficult time," said the statement.
"However as this is a personal tragedy for them, they will be making no public comment."
The death is being treated as accidental.
A PSNI spokeswoman said: "As would be normal procedure with any sudden death, a report will be prepared for the information of the coroner."
Heather Loughridge of the Cloughmills Parent and Toddler Group told the BBC he was an active and bubbly member of the group.
"A very pleasant wee boy, a lovely smiley wee fella," she said.
"And he would always have taken part in the singing and dancing in the group."
DUP Alderman John Finlay knows the family and said he was greatly saddened by the news.
He said: “I was totally stunned and greatly saddened when I learned of the sudden death of 2 year old Archie Tafts after an accident in his family home in Newtowncrommelin.
"The death of any family member in any circumstances is hard for loved ones to bear, but to lose a young son in this way is a tragedy of unspeakable proportions, and I cannot begin to imagine the grief and sorrow his parents and the family circle are now having to endure.
"Archie’s family is from Cloughmills and his grandparents and great grandparents still live in the village. Indeed, Archie had been visiting his great granny and granda earlier on the day of his death.
"My heart goes out to his grieving parents, grandparents, great grandparents and the broader family circle. I just want to assure them that the community is thinking of them and praying for them at this time."
Sinn Fein MLA Daithí McKay said the tragic news was a " terrible start to the New Year".
He said: "The news of the death of a two year-old boy in Cloughmills is a tragedy.
"This is a terrible start to the New Year for the family and friends of this young boy.
"It will shock the entire local community in Cloughmills and the surrounding area.
"I send my deepest sympathy to the family and friends of this child at this sad and difficult time."