'Bog' motorway to open next week
Published 21/09/2010 | 05:00
ENGINEERS have constructed massive reinforced concrete enforcements to support a road that collapsed into a bog late last year.
And the National Roads Authority (NRA) said yesterday that the successful works mean the M7 Nenagh to Limerick road will finally open next Tuesday, September 28 -- more than a year behind schedule.
The construction of the 38km road from Annacotty to Nenagh in Co Tipperary was contracted to Bothar Hibernian almost four years ago and was due for completion in June 2009.
However, the contractors ran into serious difficulties at Anaholty bog, where the almost-completed road collapsed into the bog in December last year.
The contractors built a concrete-and-steel bridge -- called a Load Transfer Platform -- to provide a stable base, and the NRA said this meant the road could finally open.
The €425m road is the second-last section of the Dublin to Limerick motorway, and will link the Limerick southern ring road with the existing Nenagh bypass.
It includes 28km of motorway, and a 10km upgrade of the Nenagh bypass to motorway standard.
The road will bypass the towns of Birdhill, Daly's Cross and the Lisnagry rail level crossing.
Up to 20,000 vehicles a day will use it, and it will knock eight minutes from journey times.