News Irish News

Thursday 27 July 2017

Body of man is taken from sea

Pat Flynn

THE body of a man was recovered from the sea in Co Clare yesterday following a three-day search that was mounted after a car was found abandoned nearby.

A member of the Doolin unit of the Irish Coast Guard, who had been carrying out a cliff-top search, spotted a body in the water 650 feet below the main viewing platform at the Cliffs of Moher.

The body was found about 150 metres from the shoreline and was recovered a short time later by the crew of the Doolin rescue boat. The remains were taken to the Regional Hospital in Limerick where a post-mortem examination will be carried out.

Gardai have yet to formally identify the man, however the body is believed to be that of a Polish man for whom a search began last Thursday when a car was left overnight in the car park at the popular tourist attraction.

Gardai who went to the scene had to use force to enter the vehicle in an effort to locate paperwork which might identify the driver.

It is understood that the man, a Polish national who lived in Bray, Co Wicklow, left work last Tuesday and told colleagues that he would not be returning. Concerned for his safety, gardai had been attempting to contact the man with no success.

A garda spokesman said: "A body has been recovered from the sea. however, no formal identification has taken place. It is not yet known whether the body is that of a man we had been trying to locate."

Coast Guard volunteers had been carrying out water-based searches while teams have also been walking the shoreline and cliff-top.

Gardai at Ennistymon are investigating the discovery. They are treating the matter as a "personal tragedy".

Meanwhile, a large section of a ledge at the Cliffs of Moher that was the scene of a daredevil cycling stunt has collapsed into the sea, sparking fresh warnings about the dangers of stepping outside secure areas at the cliffs.

Four years ago, two mountain bikers sparked controversy after cycling along the edge of the cliffs.

The path was no wider than a metre in places, and their stunt was slammed as "idiotic" after pictures appeared on Facebook.

A spokesperson for the tourist attraction said the crumbling of the rock shows just how dangerous the cliffs can be if people don't stay within the safety zones.

Sunday Independent

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News