Bishop's apology is not enough -- survivor
ONE of the alleged victims of clerical abuse in the Diocese of Cloyne has welcomed the resignation of Bishop Dr John Magee.
However, the victim said the resignation of the 73-year old bishop would not draw a line under the hurt caused by the diocese's mishandling of abuse allegations.
A special letter from Dr Magee was read out at all Masses in the diocese yesterday. He thanked people for their support over his 23 years as their bishop and said victims would remain in his prayers.
Pope Benedict XVI last week accepted Dr Magee's March 9 resignation from the diocese, which he has led since 1987.
Now, a victim of alleged abuse in Cloyne has welcomed Dr Magee's resignation and his renewed apology, but said his departure should not be the end of the matter.
"I think he (Dr Magee) has done the right thing -- but the clerics who betrayed him and the children in their trust now need to be held to account," said the victim, adding: "Lives were destroyed because of what was done.
"Getting justice is the light at the end of the tunnel for victims -- that is what this is all about."