News Irish News

Tuesday 22 August 2017

'Apologetic' Dunne gets six-month driving ban

IRELAND international footballer Richard Dunne was banned from driving yesterday after being convicted of going through a No Entry sign.

The Aston Villa and Republic of Ireland defender was given three penalty points for failing to comply with the road sign in Newhall Street in central Birmingham last September.

Magistrates in the city heard that his driving licence had already been endorsed with nine points and told the player he would be disqualified for six months under "totting up" procedures.

Dunne, of Lodge Lane, Dutton, Warrington,admitted the offence at a hearing last month.

Catherine Junor, defending, told the court Dunne had been "very apologetic" and pulled over immediately when he encountered a marked police car as he drove the wrong way down the one-way street at around 11.30am on Sunday, September 19, last year.

She said the 31-year-old had been looking for a parking space for his black Range Rover, adding that the traffic conditions at the time were "light to medium".

Dunne, who spoke only to confirm his date of birth and address, was ordered to pay a £333 (€390) fine, £60 (€70) costs and a £15 (€17) victim surcharge.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News