Tuesday 17 October 2017

'An embarrassment': Plans to house 650 homeless families 'will not meet next month's deadline'

Eoghan Murphy. Photo: Tom Burke
Eoghan Murphy. Photo: Tom Burke

Robin Schiller

Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy has admitted that plans to adequately house 650 homeless families and remove them from emergency accommodation will not meet next month's deadline set by the Government.

He also described Ireland's homeless crisis as an "embarrassment" and that he will meet with the Attorney General in the coming months in the hope of securing new powers to tackle the issue.

It had been hoped to to move all homeless families currently living in hotels, B&Bs and other forms of emergency accommodation out by the beginning of July.

However speaking at the launch of the Focus Ireland annual report this morning, Mr Murphy said that, of the approximate 650 families that were homeless at the end of May, rehousing "some of those will stretch beyond the July deadline".

"The 650 homeless families will either be in new accommodation or notified in writing where they will be going in the coming weeks," he said.

The newly appointed Minister for Housing also described Ireland's current homeless crisis as "an embarrassment" and "unacceptable".

An additional €10m in funding has now been announced for the 'family hub' programme, which provides alternatives to emergency accommodation, such as renovated buildings that have been bought specifically for homeless people.

Online Editors

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News