American Embassy celebrates 50 years in Dublin
Published 23/05/2014 | 10:14
The American Embassy today celebrates its 50th year in Dublin and has released a video documenting its creation to mark the occasion.
The embassy was designed by American architect John M. Johansen alongside Irish architect Michael Scott. Together they had to design a building that fits in with the triangular site at Elgin and Pembroke Roads in Ballsbridge, while also reflecting Irish stylistic features. It officially opened on Mary 23rd 1964.
On its opening day, the embassy's brochure stated: “being circular as the placement of the thirteen stars in the first American flag, it symbolises unity and strength... This form also enables the building to face in all directions, friendly and attractive from any angle.”
America first opened a consulate in Ireland in 1859 in a building near Adelaide Road. It was one of the first countries to recognise the Irish Free State and established a legation in what is now known as the U.S. Ambassador’s Residence in the Phoenix Park.
The embassy has five floors, with three being above ground level and two below, with Irish materials were used when possible.
The building serves as the headquarters for officials and employees of the United States Government in Ireland.