Accused (14) in HSE care was never assessed
Published 22/08/2014 | 02:30
A 14-YEAR-old boy in HSE care accused of a "large volume" of offences including burglary, assault and theft, has never been psychologically assessed.
A district court judge has called for the immediate assessment of the child, whom she said needed "someone on his side".
Judge Angela Condon said she was "amazed" that the boy hadn't been properly assessed and that he "seems to have been missed out by the system".
The boy has been in full-time care since May but the HSE had been involved in his care intermittently since December last year.
Tralee District Court heard that arrangements to have him psychologically assessed "didn't work out".
He is accused of a total of 11 charges before the Tralee court but there are other matters that have not been concluded at three other courts.
Insp Tony Sugrue objected to bail on the grounds he was likely to re-offend.
His solicitor Padraig O'Connell said the boy suffered from mild depression and anxiety and had "an inability to communicate his innermost feelings".
Judge Condon remanded him in custody to Oberstown Detention Centre until August 28, warning him that if it weren't for his age, she would have had no hesitation in sending him forward for trial to the circuit criminal court.