€375,000 paid to widow of burn victim
Published 15/12/2012 | 05:00
THE widow of a man who died after he sustained severe burn injuries in a gas cylinder explosion at Dromoland Castle hotel in Clare has settled her High Court action for €375,000.
Kevin Greene (61) was rapidly engulfed in flames and sustained severe full thickness burns to 60pc of his body in the blast in April 2008. He was airlifted to Galway University Hospital and died 16 days later.
Mr Greene's widow, Anne, of Rooska, Lisdoonvarna, Co Clare, had sued building contractors Michael McNamara and Co and Industrial Plant Hire Ltd, which is in liquidation.
The High Court heard Mr Greene, who worked for Mc Namara's as a general operative, was carrying out maintenance work at the hotel.
He was laying felt on a roof in a confined space using a blow torch attached to a bottle of propane gas when the explosion occurred.
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie